Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Possibility Of Success And The Fear Of Failure

The Pillsbury Company in Minneapolis hired Bob about three years after I started at Coca-Cola, and not long after that he invited me to join his group at Pillsbury. While at Coca-Cola, Bob had assembled a very competent group of guys, many of whom had worked for him a lot longer than I had, so I wanted to know why he'd offered me the Pillsbury job. He told me it was because I was more of a risk taker than the others, and there was some risk in what he was trying to accomplish at Pillsbury. After he told me what he was supposed to accomplish, I asked what would happen if 'we' did not succeed. He said 'we' would then be looking for new jobs. The comment did not scare me off...

 
I have always been more motivated by the possibility of success than the fear of failure.

I accepted the Pillsbury offer with Bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment