Wednesday, May 2, 2012

It Is A Calamity To Have No Dreams

It Is A Calamity To Have No Dreams

My high school teacher, Mr. Johnson, was a Morehouse graduate, as was Willie Harding, a friend at church. Both of them had encouraged me to go to 'The House,' as it was affectionately called by people who knew of its reputation.
My decision to attend Morehouse was one of the best decisions I ever made, not just because of the great education I received there, but also because of the great inspiration it provided me from three different sources:

  • the fact that it was all male and all black
  • the fact that so many of its graduates had done so many great things following graduation, and
  • the fact that its president was Dr. Benjamin E. Mays
Dr. Mays not only had high expectations of his graduates, but he instilled in me and many others on of the larger truths I've followed throughout my life:

'It's not a calamity to die with dreams unfulfilled,
but it is a calamity to have no dreams.'
Later in life, I would learn that this is, and should be, the mantra for the true CEO of SELF.

No comments:

Post a Comment